Choosing an Auto Body Shop for Your Damaged Vehicle
We have no shortage of auto body shops in Atlanta, from corporate franchises to local garages. You may already have a body shop you trust if you have had work done on your vehicle before. After a car accident, you may be wondering if you can go to any collision shop, or if you have to follow the insurance company’s recommendation. You want to make sure that your car is fixed right and the costs are covered.Insurance Company Preferred Providers
All insurance companies have “preferred providers.” These are the auto body shops that give discounts to the insurance company for bringing them business. Your insurance company wants you to go to a preferred provider in order to pay as little as possible for repairing your vehicle, so they make the process relatively easy. For example:
- With a preferred provider, the shop will generally be located near you, and the shop will have experience dealing with your insurance company.
- Insurance companies generally use only ASE certified, insured auto body shops.
- Because the body shop has a relationship with the insurer, your repairs may get done faster.
- You won’t have to negotiate pricing because the shop will create the bill based on the insurance company’s standards.
There also may be disadvantages to going with a preferred provider. These include:
- Because the body shop is trying to keep costs low for the insurance company, they may use generic or salvaged parts to fix your car.
- A preferred provider may not fix hidden damage to your car in order to keep the cost of repairs down.
- Preferred providers are on the insurance company’s side, not yours, which means the shop may put your insurer’s interests and bottom line above yours.
If you take your vehicle to a shop of your choice, your insurance company will likely send an adjuster to provide his or her own estimate. You and your technician may have to play hardball with your insurance company to cover the cost of repairs. This may somewhat delay getting your car fixed, but knowing your vehicle has been repaired completely and correctly is usually worth it to you. Please also note that your insurance company may owe you money for the diminished value of your automobile after an accident.Call KWFDM After a Car Accident in Atlanta
Dealing with insurance companies and repair shops after a car accident can be frustrating and confusing. The Georgia car accident lawyers at Katz Wright Fleming Dodson & Mildenhall LLC can help you protect your rights and interests, and ensure you receive the benefits you are entitled to under your insurance policy. Call us today at (404) 460-0101 to discuss the best next steps you can take after a car wreck anywhere in Georgia.